Hi guys! It’s been a while! I’ve been waaaay too busy lately, but I’m back and ready to share some great tips, tricks and recent projects with y’all!
The first thing I was dying to make after my holiday were roller blinds for my sewing room. I spend lots of evenings in there, and lately I felt a bit ‘exposed’ sitting in the spotlight with no blinds. So I decided to do something about it. And what better to do for your sewing room than actually sewing blinds yourself?!
I found this amazing fabric over at our local fabric store. They told me the fabric was originally developed for a tent manufacturer. Well, I’d love to have one of these tents! But I had other plans with this fabric: I wanted to turn it into a roller blind.
Finding the perfect roller blind system
Since I wasn’t too sure this project would turn out as I hoped, I didn’t want to spend a fortune on the roller blind system. Unfortunately, just the system without the fabric was nowhere to be found. And since most of the times you pay for the super fancy solar protection fabric, roller blinds as a whole were quite expensive.
I tried good old IKEA, but they switched systems. They only sell roller blinds without the pulling cord, and I figured that wouldn’t work with new fabric sewn onto it. After I searched for weeks without any result, I decided to give it a go and take the cheapest version available of the new IKEA system, for sale here:
The ultimate IKEA hack
Since the fabric I used is very thick and doesn’t fray, I decided to try to glue the thing together instead of stitching it, to avoid bulky seams and a broken sewing machine. I used some really strong double-faced tape. First, I securely taped the top side to the rod. Then I put the beam that came with the blind in place and taped that to the bottom part.
This is probably the easiest yet most rewarding DIY project I ever conducted. The only hard part was the setup of the system, because that was – like all IKEA products – not very easy and had to be redone several times. But I couldn’t be happier with the result!